Top Post

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Keeper of the Culture




When it comes to cultures, I’m a bit of a fanatic.  It all started with cheese.  For our sixth wedding anniversary my husband enrolled me in a class at the Institute for Domestic Technology in Alta Dena, CA.  The site of the class was a small but fully functioning Goat Dairy.  This was heaven on earth for a cheese enthusiast like myself.  Not only did we learn how to make goat cheese in this class, but there were lessons on DIY bread, jam, and mustard.  

Once I knew the basics of making a soft goat cheese, I stated to wonder, “What other kinds of cheese can I make?”  I’ve tried out mozzarella, ricotta, and cottage cheese so far, all with varying degrees of success.  (More on that in an up and coming cheese post).

Then I moved on to yogurt.  I’ve mentioned how we became spoiled during our travels in Switzerland with freshly made yogurt each morning.  So when we returned home, I had to figure out the intricacies of yogurt making.  I got really good at making a 24-hour recipe, but when I decided to make the jump to raw milk the texture of the yogurt changed and was not my personal favorite.  That’s when my husband asked if I could make kefir.  He had recently become a fan of this yogurt like drink.  I didn’t know much about it, so I started my research.

It turns out that kefir is basically fermented milk.  I know that sounds dubious to a novice.  My husband who loved drinking it for months became very suspicious when I embarked on making our own.  “Explain to me again how fermented milk is different from rotten milk?,” he would ask as I set another batch out on the counter to culture. 

Here’s how it works... To make kefir, you pour milk over milk proteins (called kefir grains, though they are not grains, just shaped like them.  Some say they resemble cauliflower; to me they look like cottage cheese).  Living upon the grains are healthy yeasts and bacteria, similar to the type we are told to look for in our yogurt.  These live cultures infuse the milk with life.   Whole milk works best and is actually healthier for you than lowfat or nonfat milks (we can get into that another time.)  I also prefer to use raw milk because it is not pasteurized, allowing the beneficial bacteria already in the milk to live and I want our kefir to have as many good gut bugs as possible!  (I know that raw milk is a concern for some, but I have discovered a trusted local dairy who produces it, and for our family the benefits outweigh the risks). 

After about 24 hours at room temperature, you strain off the liquid and keep it in the fridge, that’s the kefir.  Then you put your grains in a clean jar, cover them with more milk and start again.  (I use a rubber band and a coffee filter to keep debris out of the jar while culturing). 

Kefir is supposedly pronounced “kuh-fear”. I’m pretty sure there could be an international debate over how to correctly say this word.  Most people around here seem to know what I’m talking about if I pronounce it like “Keifer Southerland” the actor.

Why drink kefir?  Well, the culturing process makes the lactose more easily digestible so it is gentle on your stomach first thing in the morning.  Those probiotics keep your gut health in balance.  Some say that kefir has an acquired taste and I agree, but it is worth acquiring it.  Kefir has taken the place of all store bought yogurt in our home.  It is a no sugar added option but if you desire sweetness you can add a little honey and fruit and make it into a smoothie.  I also strain it through a coffee filter to get a thicker Greek yogurt like texture and make dips or sauces from it.  If I have extra, I’ll use it to make muffins or bread.  The possibilities are inspiring.

I have shared my grains with three adventurous friends thus far and eagerly await reports on how it’s growing.  As the grains grow, you will have extra to give away if you decide to give this process a go.  I have dubbed myself the keeper of the culture because I cannot seem to stop myself when it comes to this culinary category.



No comments:

Post a Comment